Thursday 26 February 2009

Ideas for my project

I have decided to continue to explore self-identity from the previous project.
This time, however, I want to concentrate more on how I am affected as a female by popular culture and female representation in it.
My interest is to explore and show how the standards of beauty in our (Western) society are affecting me.
It is many things that affect our personalities and the way we perceive ourselfs. Our families, friends, colleagues, media - all of the above shape our views on self-image, and their views are reflections of knowledge we gain through generations, which sets us into boundaries of what is seen as acceptable and how this can be challenged.
For my research, I want to look at a variety of photographers and artists, such as Nan Goldin, Cindy Sherman, Catherine Opie, Robert Mapplethorpe, Frida Kahlo, Egon Schiele, Francesca Woodman.
I also want to consider movie icons, pop stars and other famous females, whose images we are exposed to in the media now or have been in the previous decades, i.e. Audrey Hepburn, Marylin Monroe, Sofia Loren, Princess Diana, Courtney Love, Kate Moss, Margaret Thatcher, Angelina Jolie, Monica Lewinsky, Gia Carangi, Twiggy.

1 comment:

  1. looking forward to seeing some images -- in the meantime it might be useful to see some bad pictures!

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete